WE’RE HIRING – Research Analyst in Ho Chi Minh City
Placement Title: Research Analyst
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Start & End Date: 3rd April 2018 to 13th May 2018.
Time Requirement: Ideally Full Time (5 days a week). Minimum 3 days a week (Flexible on whether weekdays or weekends)
Type of role: Contractor
About this Project
According to Ocean Conservancy, 1.8 million tons of plastic leak into the ocean from Vietnam each year, making it one of the top 5 countries for ocean plastic pollution. Everyday, nearly 80,000 tons of waste are discharged in the country. The five biggest cities in Vietnam, namely Ha Noi, HCMC, Hai Phong, Da Nang and Can Tho are the country’s hotspots with 70% contribution to the total waste generation.
Through this research project and the recommendations from it to key stakeholders such as companies and the government, we hope to promote better waste management practices, enhance the quality of life of local people, especially the waste collectors.
About The Role
Objective of role is to conduct high quality surveys for research into the current status quo of waste in HCMC.
– Conducting surveys:
– Across a pre-agreed number of households, waste collectors, recycling pickers, bulk waste generators, and junk shops. (Approximately 100 in total)
– These surveys will be split evenly across different pre-agreed districts, income levels etc.
– Surveys must be completed per schedule and timelines agreed.
– Ensuring that the surveys are high quality:
– Without errors in the data
– All data collected must be standardised to consistent units
– Translating any Vietnamese notes taken during the surveys to English.
– Being available for contact throughout the project duration for any clarifications or updates.
Further details on the above will provided upon role confirmation including finalising the number of surveys and timeline.
A fee of 100,000 VND will be paid for every survey completed that meets the quality standards mentioned above. On average, the Research Analyst is expected to conduct 50-75 surveys over a 4-6 week period.
Pre-requisites and skill sets needed
1. Good communication and interpersonal skills – to approach various stakeholders.
2. Good quantitative data gathering skills to ensure quality of the data collected through the surveys.
3. Capable and comfortable traveling in HCMC for surveys.
4. At least an intermediate knowledge of English – to communicate with the GA team in Singapore. Survey questions will be in Vietnamese, but the responses must be submitted in English.
5. A basic background in sustainability and environment. Note that past experience in waste management is not required – we’ll train the selected candidate on waste management knowledge required for the role.
What’s in it for you
1. Opportunity to work on a pioneering research study to transform recycling and waste management in Vietnam.
2. Be part of Gone Adventurin – a mindfully growing, Singapore-headquartered social enterprise dedicated to finding business-driven solutions to tackle waste challenges in Asia.
About Gone Adventurin (GA)
Asia is the biggest contributor to post-consumer waste mismanagement in the world. Gone Adventurin is a sustainability consultancy and project implementation partner on a mission to tackle post-consumer waste in Asia. Our vision is to create a world without waste.
We help companies design business strategies, implement pilots to recycle post-consumer waste and create closed loop supply chains so that nothing goes to waste. Our work enables our clients to become attractive to investors and loved by consumers. We have worked with clients such as P&G in India, Danone in Indonesia, Dole Foods in the Philippines, National Environment Agency in Singapore and Unilever in Vietnam.